Saturday, June 2, 2012

Day 5: Nothing to report

We decided to put ourselves in position for a chase on Sunday instead of chasing today. Which meant driving from Amarillo, TX to Tulsa, OK.  We are chasing as much as we can before a ridge of high pressure builds in the center of the country. If and when this ridge gets set up, it will basically kill any kind of thunderstorm development within our chase region. This is what we call a "ridge of death." Tomorrow we will be chasing through northeastern Oklahoma, Southeastern Kansas and maybe even Missouri.

The 2 main highlights of the day was the visit to the Cadillac Ranch just west of Amarillo and then seeing The Dominator (from the show Storm Chasers) driving down I-40 going the opposite direction of us.

No real interesting pictures. I really wish I could sleep in the van while we are driving because I am utterly exhausted. Don't tell my wife...but I think I want to find a way to do this again. This has been a blast. I also think that down the road, AFTER I finish up my degree at Buffalo State, that I want to pursue a second bachelors in Meteorology.

It is also really cool how much input that Dr. P and Dr. R take from us when making decisions on whether to chase or where to chase. I also love how we get a 10 minute discussion going and then one of them drops a piece of knowledge on us to totally validate/confirm what we had been talking about.

Miles traveled so far: 2412

No comments:

Post a Comment